Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Culture & Social Behavior

                Hi from Dublin again. This is my last blog and I hope you have enjoyed my previous blogs and enjoy this one as well. This time I am going to talk about our culture and our social behavior in Ireland. I will tell you about our relationships and our behaviors when it comes to sex, sex and Catholicism, same sex marriages, marriages in general, and our dating behaviors. Here we go!
                First I am going to tell you about is our view and behaviors when it comes to sex. In my family, sex is not something we talk about openly, and we are more conservative when compared to other European countries. Of course, social attitudes and sexual behavior has changed in the last four decades and is much different now then what it was when my parents were younger. Some of the changes include the increase in non-marital births, sex before marriage, and cohabitation. I think it is because of the differences in cultures, the new development of social attitudes, urbanization, and of course the mass media that we see every day (Conroy, 2006). In regards to cohabitation, I think it is a normal thing now days because people are still conservative but not as conservative as they use to be. My parents and I do not talk about sex openly because of our conservatism and we don’t feel that it is appropriate. Also here in Ireland, when it comes to casual sex and sex under the age of consent, we have the lowest school in Western Europe which I think is great. I do not believe in casual sex or sex under the age of consent but there are girls in my school that believe in different things (Conroy, 2006).
                Next I am going to talk about sex and Catholicism. As I have said, Catholicism is huge in Ireland, and due to the changes in the last years, these changes have affected the catholic beliefs. Catholicism and its moral teachings, have had many influences on our life including the public policy on sex and sexual behavior. I learned these from my parents and also while going to church. These teachings include no sex outside of marriage, and a ban of artificial forms of contraception within marriage. These are the most well known teaching and the change is that sex before marriage has become a normal occurrence with younger age groups. My parents of course look down upon this, but I myself along with other friends have partaken in this change (Conroy, 2006). I feel like this has also been a result of mass media and changes in cultures around the world.
                Once major controversy we have been having in Ireland is the different beliefs of same sex marriages. As of right now, the rate of homosexuality in the Republic of Ireland is the lowest in Western Europe but it is still a controversy to some people (Conroy, 2006). Even though Ireland has a low rate of same sex marriages, many people including my parents and I are turning our thoughts around and are supporting it. I think I read in the newspaper the other day that ¾ of the population is supporting it as well. Of course because of the religion aspect, there are concerns that people have about same sex marriages. These concerns are it will damage or change the definition of marriage, religious freedom will be affected, civil partnership is enough for homosexuals, and marriage is only about procreation (Griffith, 2004). I however do not agree with these concerns. I feel that everyone is an equal citizen and they deserve equal freedom, and marriage is about the person you love not what gender they are. My parents have always said that denying a civil marriage to same sex couples is discriminatory and unfair (Griffith, 2004). Also when it comes to the concern of procreation, my parents and I believe that for a child being raised in a loving home by loving parents no matter what gender is more important than be raising by strictly a mother and a father (Griffith, 2004). Soon, many of us Irish, hope that people become more open-minded and accept people for who they really are.
                Now that I have talked about same sex marriages, I am now going to talk about marriage in general. I don’t have a lot to say about marriage but I have a few things. Marriage of course important to the Irish culture and Ireland is known to have the lowest divorce rate (Griffith, 2004). I think this is a huge accomplishment for our culture and a great part of our social behavior. As I stated, there have been changes in the Irish culture and even though marriage is still important, there are some Irish that believe that marriage is no longer the institution it once was (Barry, 2011). It is now a tendency to remain single for a while, partake in delayed marriages, or not get married at all (Schellenberg, 1991). In my parents’ relationship, they were too focus on the avoidance of sexual relationships, high respect for their family and family values, and be loyal to their vows (Schellenberg, 1991). As my opinion, I have seen how happy my parents are together, and I cannot wait to have that.
                Last but not least, I am going to talk about the social behavior when it comes to dating in Ireland. Dating in Ireland is not something we do for fun. Of course we like to date people but when we date, we are eager to settle down with a serious long-term partner therefore, we take dating seriously. I am currently single and not dating but my ideal date would be casual, informal affair that is relaxed (Barry, 2011). I think this is pretty normal for most Irish people on their views of dating. Some important characteristics of relationships in my opinion are personality, faithfulness, education, and descent financial position. Physical attraction is not very important to me and I can that for other Irish as well. When we do find that special someone, we believe that love is about being cared for and understood, and it will all be worth it in the end (Barry, 2011).
                Well that’s all I have on social behavior here in Ireland! Hope you enjoyed!

Barry, G., Hurley, S. (2011). Anotherfriend.com, Love: Uncovered. The first detailed and intimate
                study of Irish attitudes to dating, relationships, love, and marriage. April 15, 2014 from,

Conroy,R., Cousins, G., Donnelly, C., Laye, R., McGee, H., Mulcahy, F., Quail, A., Rundle, K.
                (October, 2006). Department of Health and Children. Irish Study of Sexual Health and
                Relationships. April 15, 2014 from,


Griffith, M. (2004). Marriage Equality. The Case for Marriage Equality in Ireland. April 15, 2014
                from,

Schellenberg, J. (1991). Patterns of Delayed Marriage: How Special are the Irish? Taylor &

                Francis, Ltd: JSTOR. Volume 24. Pp. 1-11. 

No comments:

Post a Comment